Why move to Mexico? So many great reasons to make either part-time or permanent living here a viable option.
- The proximity to the USA is the best. One can travel via plane or car easily. The press says the border is closed but any American or person with a green card can come and go without issue. Any international can fly in and out of Mexico, but, driving from Mexico back into the USA will not be permitted currently if you are not a an American citizen or green card resident. And, who knows what it will be after this post. All things changing constantly.
- Food is less expensive by a long-shot. At least 30-50% less on fruits, veggies, beans and anything home-made in Mexico. Artisanal cheese is wonderful and affordable. Grass-fed beef and free range chicken and eggs, home-made pastries and bread, organic tortillas, avocados…to name a few. I buy organic and high quality everything and I spend about $500 USD a month on food. This art of Mexico has no supply chain issues. Everything is made right here! No lines to buy food. All is plentiful.
- Taxes are ridiculously low. A yearly property tax on a large, expensive home can be $200 USD a year. And, if you apply for a senior card for those over 60, you get an additional discount.
- Water bills are much less. In Mineral de Pozos, a yearly water bill could be $80 USD. You can also buy a truckload of water in a pinch…to fill a pool or cistern if needed.
- The weather! If you love sunshine and scenery, Mexico will be a fantastic. choice. Choose the beach communities if you refer humidity like Puerto Vallarta. If you like weather similar to Provence, France, choose to live in Central Mexico, specifically Mineral de Pozos. We have a stellar climate…cool at night and warm to hot in the day. Dry in the day and more humid at night. No AC needed.
- Buying or renting property in Mexico is cheaper than anywhere else in the world. And for Americans, a non-reportable asset. I study real estate in the world, and I always come back to Mexico as the easiest and least expensive option for an international choice. (When you buy, you also have the benefit of opening a bank account.) It never hurts to have cash outside your home country in these times. Buying real estate here is 1% to 3% of cost of property price. Buyer pays it at closing. Purchasing here is easy and safe if you use reputable agents and lawyers. You can do cash buys walking down the street for a deal…and you will regret it later! Guaranteed.
- Mexicans are thrifty, creative, and friendly. Respect them, and you will be respected in turn. Employing locals is much less expensive than in the USA or anywhere except maybe Africa or the Caribbean.
- Healthcare is comparable to the USA. Hospitals are plentiful. Medical tourism is thriving. Come here for root canals and cosmetic dentistry, plastic surgery, and really anything…and spend 30% to 50% less for quality work. Like anything, there are good and bad. You need to follow forums for this. San Miguel has stellar doctors for certain things, and Queretaro for others.
- Drive to the beach from Pozos in 7 hours either to the west or to the east. The roads, use only cuotas (tolls), are excellent, smooth driving.
- Last but not least…pay attention…one dollar buys 20 pesos. If you are earning dollars or euros or CAD, you will benefit from the exchange! Bad for Mexicans but powerful buying power for you.
I do free consulting for newbies making the leap to buy with me in Pozos or San Miguel on all different types of insurance (car, health, house). I also spend a day in SMA with a new buyer on ‘where to find what’ including banking, doctors, food stuff, dining and the best phone service packages. Internet here is high-speed. No 5G though, thank goodness.
Keep in mind, a move out of your country has a certain amount of stress. But the stress passes, if you allow it. 🙂
Apparently too, learning new things later in life improves brain function and keeps us young.
Find me on Instagram @dreamingofpozos
Inquire here with questions. Call me or whatsapp at 468 127 0044.